Saturday, November 16, 2013

Last Sunday, The Cloisters




Fort Tryon Park

even the 190th street subway station was pretty



15th century Italian chasuble









this stone guy was my favorite

I've been wanting to go to The Cloisters for the past year but I finally made it out with my friends Aggie and Erica. It was a little bit of a cloudy day but it added to the medieval drafty castle feel of the place.  The Janet Cardiff sound installation, Forty Part Motet, was excellent (link below) and felt very spiritual and communal.  The 40 individually recorded voices echoed perfectly and powerfully off the stone walls.  You really felt enveloped by the voices and the experience.

Also I enjoyed all the meticulously made objects on display.  I kept imagining people from the 15th century and even earlier producing such works and using them.  There were some amazing tapestries and textiles as well as precious metal pieces. Really inspiring.  It was fun to see how the objects were arranged too. 





No comments:

Post a Comment