Tuesday, November 19, 2013

On my reading radar

1. Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
I really enjoyed this book.  A know a bunch of people that weren't that into it but I think she says a lot of things that need to be said and not in a combative or condescending way.  She's able to point out ways in which women can further themselves in the workplace and talks about the work/family balance.  Maybe it's the women's college student in me (woo MHC) but this book has really made me feel good, gung-ho, and assertive. Ladies, it's okay to be awesome.

2. Francis Bacon by Phaidon
I love Bacon's color sense and fluid brushwork.  A lot of his works are grotesque but still appealing.

3. Interwoven Globe
This is the catalog from the Metropolitan Museum's textile show (up now! go see it!) and the catalog is so chock full of amazing textile imagery.  It has even more than the actual show so if you don't get to see the show in person at least check out this catalog.  Also,  it's bound in real fabric so heyyyy.

4. Inside the Studio: Two Decades of Talks with Artists in New York
I always find artist writings and essays so interesting.  Also I really enjoy reading transcribed interviews so if you're into that then this book it right up your alley.  Everyone's in here from Louise Bourgeois to Polly Apfelbaum.  Interesting to read how artists talk about their work.

5. The Paris Review Book Of...
Haven't read this yet but looking forward to it-- might even buy myself a copy. I love short stories and excerpts.

6. Draw It With Your Eyes Closed
My friend Kevin told me about this book.  It compiles real assignments and classroom experiences from freshman to advanced classes.  Some really funny/ outrageous stories in here.  After teaching a winter session course at RISD last year (bookbinding) this would have come in handy.


and finally....


I can't believe it took me so long to read Agnes Martin's writings.  This was recommended to me by Jordana at Textile Arts Center and I love Agnes' essays.  So calming and wise. I was thinking about buying a copy but since it's out of print you can't get one for less than $100 but here's an online version (you're welcome)

No comments:

Post a Comment